Anyone adopting rats from the rescue has to agree to meet the following simple requirement:
• Provide the rats with adequate housing, including suitable bedding (aspen, breeders select or similar, not pine shavings) and a large ventilated cage with at least 1.5 cubic feet per rat (35 x 35 x 35 cm). The rats must also not be kept outside or in a drafty environment. Cages must also be cleaned regularly to provide the rats with sanitary living conditions.
• Provide suitable food (not pet shop mixes), in the form of a lab block or homemade dry mix plus fresh food supplements, in sufficient quantity daily.
• Provide the company of at least one other rat of the same sex for their entire life, unless their companion dies and they refuse to have another companion or they are too old for this to be feasible.
• Provide vet care when needed.
• Not breed from any adopted rats. If accidental breeding should occur, the rescue must be notified as soon as possible, and retains the right to reclaim both the rescue rat and the entire litter.
• If circumstances change, and you are no longer able to care for the rats, the rescue is to be notified and allowed to take back any and all rats adopted by you at no cost. Rats are not permitted to be re-adopted without the rescues consent.